8.11.2008

"crock" pot.

okay....now i get it. slow cookers are called "crock pots" for a reason. because they are a total crock! i really don't understand what i could possibly be doing wrong. i mean, how do you screw up something as simple as plugging in a device, putting the desired meal inside and setting it on low? 

yesterday, i tried this yummy pork chop recipe of my mom's for sunday dinner. seemed easy enough...as per the directions: cook on low for 4-5 hours. okay, so i set my crock pot to low at approx. 9am in hopes to have a meal waiting for us at around 2pm. i had a hunch (based on past experience) to check the chops prior to leaving for church. well, guess what? that "slow" cooker had completely cooked that entire meal in under 2 hours. i know. what the?

please help. i really do love the concept of throwing something in a crock pot in the morning and having a meal ready by dinner-time. if you have one you love....do share. please!

p.s. the one pictured is the one i have. it's got all the bells and whistles, digital - the whole nine yards. the only thing it doesn't have is the ability to COOK SLOWLY!

6 comments:

Demarcus Family said...

I LOVE my crockpot. I use it a couple of times a week and have great recipes for it.
I will say the new ones cook super fast. I always cook on low and usually in half the time it says. You will learn yours and have to adjust your timing. It is so great to come home from church on Sunday and have your house smell so good and dinner ready!

Roberts Fam said...

SAME PROBLEM... I think I am just going to plan the 2 hr window...

Hailey said...

Oh trust me I feel your pain! I got a recipe from the food network for crock pot macaroni and cheese, I spent a million dollars on tons of different kinds of cheeses and it looked amazing the first hour but by the 3rd or 4th it was all shrivled up and dried out! I was so mad! I have a great recipe for chicken tacos, I'm running out the door so I'll email it to you later...:)

Kehl Family said...

Jill,
So funny because mine does that same thing. I wonder if getting a smaller crockpot would make a difference. Who knows, I think it's a crock too!

a labrum said...

So funny! I think that we have all had this problem! I actually have a big nice fancy one like you, and I find myself using my smaller one much more for this very reason. The pot needs to be at least 2/3 full from what someone told me or it will overcook. Maybe you will need to be cooking for a family of 10 in order to use it. Get on that!

Linda said...

I have this same crock pot and I use my old one because I haven't figured this one out. It cooks everything way too fast!
Blessings,
Linda