5.25.2011

does your face light up?


this is all i can think about.


for some reason, it really struck a nerve with me.

When your child walks in the room, does your face light up?

"When my children used to walk in the room, when they were little, I looked at them to see if they had buckled their trousers or if their hair was combed or if their socks were up. You think your affection and your deep love is on display because you're caring for them. It's not. When they see you, they see the critical face. But if you let your face speak what's in your heart...because when they walked in the room, I was glad to see them. It's just as small as that, you see."  - Toni Morrison


i know i joke all the time about how insanely difficult it is to be in the trenches raising young children.

but believe me when i tell you, i wouldn't have it any other way.

the lesson i took away from hearing this is:
 to allow my face to light up more often.


don't worry so much about the dirty face that needs to be wiped,
the shoes that are on the wrong feet.
instead, allow my face to speak what's in my heart.

try harder to not be dismissive when they come running in the room
to show me one of their drawings.
rather, allow my face to light up.
what could i possibly be doing that is so important not to
take a moment and acknowledge their accomplishment.

i want them to know that they bring me joy.
nothing makes me happier than having them around.
and if letting my face light up when they walk in the room is what it takes...
that's what i'll do.
...

10 comments:

Diane N. said...

That is my favorite post you've ever written. You are so right and I wish I'd been that wise as a young mom. (However, you turned out all right so I must have done something right!)
XOXO Mom

lynette said...

i love, love, LOVE this! thank you for this wonderful reminder.

Anonymous said...

I remember when she said this, which was before I had children, I believe, and it struck me even then. What a simple, powerful thing to do! And, yes, it is hard to do. It seemed easier when the kids were smaller, but much more difficult as we are moving into the teen years. I guess they need it just as much or more. Thanks for the post. :)

Lindsay said...

Reminds me of Brian Regan's kid slurping his spaghetti around the kitchen and his remark was, "Can't you see the paint on the walls is more important than the joy in your heart? Stop it!! Act like an adult!" HaHa!

Hil said...

Love this. Thank you for the wonderful reminder!!

p.s. that picture is adorable! your little sweetie is getting so big!!

Elise said...

two thumbs up.

Amanda said...

Such a great post! I should read that quote every morning. ;)

Bridget said...

Awwww. Thanks for this. :)

tharker said...

I needed this little reminder. Thank you!!

Ro said...

These little ones warm my heart when they come running to to Grandma and Grandpa and are so happy to see us. I hope we show the emotions that they deserve - our love for them. Nothing more important, they grow up so fast and will soon not be so responsive. So sweet to see how joyful they were when Bro. Toomey came to visit us on Sunday. We truly are blessed with these sweet spirits.

Grandma Ro